Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Opinion > Restaurant Opinion

Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default Matt's Steak House in Rolla

"Steak House"? That may be a bit of a misnomer. We went there this Saturday at 3 pm, with a group of 8 1/4 people. The big, fancy masonry building sitting in a cloud of dust from the gravel parking lot kind've strikes a sour chord from the get-go. But having gone there with high expectations, especially since a relative had told me they had lamb on the menu (which I love), we were still looking forward to a positive dining experience. We were placed in a small room, which was actually private and nice, but the door banged like a .44 magnum every time the waitress went in and out. After perusing the menu, we started to order .... first off, they had no baked potatoes until later .... okay, SWEET potatoes, then .... nope, they weren't cooking those yet, either. Lamb chops? Hunh-uh, and also no need to ask for the shish-ke-bobs, which someone said used to be good. They DID have a few sandwiches on the menu though, and a 7-oz rib-eye with mashed potatoes as a "special". ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON??? Five of us got the steaks, and at the end of the meal, not one of the five had eaten half their steak - a RIB-EYE was too tough to chew .... what is the tenderest cut of beef? Isn't that the rib-eye?
I got the prime rib sandwich - the "hoagie bun" was like biting into glass, although the meat was more tender than the rib-eyes. Two of us got the steak tips and vegetables - those were the only meal that was more than half finished. Someone ordered a bread pudding dessert, though, that was absolutely fantastic! I could seriously OD on that stuff.
No one asked for a to-go box, and while the waitress did a great job serving us, she never asked why almost all the plates were more than half full, and there was certainly no adjustment made to any of our bills. Since there were more than six of us, the gratuity (18%) was added to the bill, so the waitress got over $30 for serving all of us food we didn't want, and nothing that was on our table was what was offered on the menu.
All in all, if I lived a quarter-mile up the road from them, I'd probably never go there again, but on the upside, if you ever feel like going somewhere and paying $60 for a really good dessert, Matt's Steak House is your place!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 AM
MotorMouth

WoW sounds like you did not enjoy your evening at all.
Thank goodness for Mc"D"s and Pizza Hut...Always the same no matter what.
Oh they do have that lamb over here. Just have to brush off the sand and stay up wind of the camel's.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmnutswer View Post
Oh they do have that lamb over here. Just have to brush off the sand and stay up wind of the camel's.
Actually, I thought Matt's stunk - you've just given me an appropriate metaphor.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 PM
MotorMouth

There is always Lewis Cafe down the road a few miles
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
There is always Lewis Cafe down the road a few miles
Much less ostentatious restaurant, lower price, four times the quality .... JMHO.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM
MotorMouth

Matt's chicken shish-ke-bobs (with pineapple,green pepper, mushrooms) is one of my favorites when we eat there. There salads have always been good. Also, there bread! YUM! It is a little high, but when I go there with girlfriends it seems worth it. Haha
It was not the fault of the waitress how your steaks were cooked, but she should have ask what was wrong with them or some of you should have let the cook know. Not how I want to spend a meal out, but they do need to know.
How did the 1/4 person in your group enjoy their meal??
Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge View Post
Matt's chicken shish-ke-bobs (with pineapple,green pepper, mushrooms) is one of my favorites when we eat there. There salads have always been good. Also, there bread! YUM! It is a little high, but when I go there with girlfriends it seems worth it. Haha
It was not the fault of the waitress how your steaks were cooked, but she should have ask what was wrong with them or some of you should have let the cook know. Not how I want to spend a meal out, but they do need to know.
How did the 1/4 person in your group enjoy their meal??
Agree no fault of the waitress - she did a good job, considering how bad things could have been, since everything anyone asked for they weren't cooking right now, though that stuff was all on the menu they gave us. And I forgot the bread sticks - they WERE good. But forget about the shish-ke-bobs .... she said they weren't offering those any more. I guess there's more profit in selling fajita meat at steak prices. The salad wasn't bad, it just wasn't (IMO) in a class they were trying to represent (and charge for). And since there wasn't an empty plate at the table, I think it was just that no one wanted to get started on 'em ...just call it an expensive lesson. Sybill's, in St. James, or Madison Street Grill in Lebanon absolutely blow them outta the water. But then, so does Waffle House, as far as steaks are concerned.
Our whole meal for 8 1/4 people was worth about what the gratuity amounted to. (BTW, the "1/4" slept through almost the whole thing.)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
MotorMouth

An expensive lesson for Matt's, too. It sounds like he lost some good/new customers.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge View Post
An expensive lesson for Matt's, too. It sounds like he lost some good/new customers.
Yeah, and our family (and extended family) spends a lot of time eating out. The frustrating thing is that we all went with high hopes, since two of us had been there before, had the kabobs, and been happy. Now they take that off the menu? Go figure.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
MotorMouth

RR, everytime we have gone by on the interstate they have had a parking lot full of cars, is that what made you decide to give them a try?
Did you decide on the advice of the relative to try the restaurant or the the crowd of cars or the chance of getting lamb?