Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Opinion > Restaurant Opinion

Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
RR, everytime we have gone by on the interstate they have had a parking lot full of cars, is that what made you decide to give them a try?
Did you decide on the advice of the relative to try the restaurant or the the crowd of cars or the chance of getting lamb?
All three, actually - that's why I was so blown away with our experience there. I had every intention of really enjoying the meal. Pricey, maybe, but I don't mind paying $25 for a steak if I get a $25 steak. I just hate to pay $25 and get a $3 piece of meat. I'm also pretty forgiving if a cut of meat isn't quite what it should be; if it tastes good, I don't mind if it's a little tough. If it's tender, but tastes uninteresting, I won't gripe too much. I like it medium rare, but it can go quite a ways from there either way and I'll eat it. But for FIVE steaks, every one at the table, to be simply too tough to eat, that's a problem.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Muddy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
All three, actually - that's why I was so blown away with our experience there. I had every intention of really enjoying the meal. Pricey, maybe, but I don't mind paying $25 for a steak if I get a $25 steak. I just hate to pay $25 and get a $3 piece of meat. I'm also pretty forgiving if a cut of meat isn't quite what it should be; if it tastes good, I don't mind if it's a little tough. If it's tender, but tastes uninteresting, I won't gripe too much. I like it medium rare, but it can go quite a ways from there either way and I'll eat it. But for FIVE steaks, every one at the table, to be simply too tough to eat, that's a problem.
What have I ALWAYS SAID?? " The squeaky wheel gets the free meal".

ok so maybe I made that up just now

Remember "The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."
Old 08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
MotorMouth

Our experience with Matt's wasn't a whole lot better . . . in fact, we've kinda erased a lot of the details from our minds, but CW was ready to leave before we ever ordered, because it was a dark & bar-like atmosphere. We had high hopes too though, so we asked to be moved to a table by a window where there was a little more light.

Our visit was midafternoon too, and especially on weekends, restaurants need to adjust that 4 p.m. dinner hour thing because lotsa people are out & about and they want their dinner meal a little earlier. I remember enjoying a piece of the bread, but couldn't indulge too much because of the carbs. Their salad was good too, but didn't knock my sox off, the way the house salad at Shawns River City Grill in Jeff City used to do. After this many months, we don't even remember what we ordered - and b'lieve me, if it's outstanding - I remember! I'll remember 'til my dying day, the first bite of my first Madison Street steak! Whoa baby!

Part of our trouble was just personalities . . . our waiter was a very ebullient sort, and it began to wear on us after awhile - especially on CW. Plus when the meal was over, he cleared the table & I used the ladies' room, expecting that by the time I finished washing up, the bill would be paid & we'd head for home. But CW was still at the table waiting for the waiter to return with the check. Turns out he'd forgotten us . . .

(and yes, the rib steak - or deboned "ribeye" - is the most flavorful/tenderest cut of beef. The filet might top it for tenderness, but for flavor AND tenderness, you can't beat a rib.)
Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfly View Post
What have I ALWAYS SAID?? " The squeaky wheel gets the free meal".
ok so maybe I made that up just now
Works that way at Ruby's ... so well, in fact, that I hate to suggest that anything at all isn't quite what I expected .... they just take it off the bill, and then I have to feel terrible.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Our visit was midafternoon too, and especially on weekends, restaurants need to adjust that 4 p.m. dinner hour thing because lotsa people are out & about and they want their dinner meal a little earlier.
But if they're gonna let you in, and you're gonna leave 2 or three hundred dollars there, can you tell me why they couldn't throw on a few baked or sweet potatoes? That makes NO sense to me.

Last edited by river_rat; 08-30-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost