Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default Listening Session

The Army will hold a community
listening session at Nutter Field House (recent change in location) on Fort
Leonard Wood on Tuesday, April 30, 2013, beginning at 5:30 pm. Everyone is
encouraged to participate. A standing room only crowd would send a clear
message that Fort Leonard Wood is very important to the region.

The purpose of the session will be to give community residents an
opportunity to let Army leaders know what the impact of the proposed
reductions would be and to let the Army know what a great place Fort Leonard
Wood and the communities are for Soldiers and their families to live, work
and play. The session will be led by BG Mark Inch, acting commanding
general of Fort Leonard Wood. Also participating will be senior
representatives of Headquarters, Department of the Army.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 AM
MotorMouth

If they cut the troop strength at FLW by 3900 as the radio news was reporting it will have an economical slowdown to the local business around FLW.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM
MotorMouth

? Ok Rudy... But the fort has always been flexing and contracting...the addition of the MP and chemical schools brought in a large amount of people yet it took forever for businesses to expand..the loss of 4,000 married and single soldiers will not adversely affect a community that barely accommodates the current level. thursday, Friday and Saturday nights its always packed at the local restaurants...food service at the couple I do go to suffer... What? Out of baked potatoes? I almost died when the waitress told me that one..
Moviies? Why do you suppose they are building a new theatre cause after a decade of stable strengths they realized they could soak more money in...
Hiring civilian employees... Eh separate issue.
Firing or laying off civilian Employess, thats done at the MACOM and local level, no amount of meetings by community leaders or members is gonna affect that. But Congress members and senators would be here in a heartbeat...

So in the end after losing the official budget and manning war in the halls of the pentagon
The Local Command is trying to keep the slots...and wants the community to back their play
The community that really is not too enthusiastic in the first place..(why are all the hotels and restaurants on I-44 frontage, and pawn shops and burger joints on Mo ave?) Interstate business is more important? Real estate is frozen closer to the fort? Across from Arby's is that barn and motel and nobody is doing anything with it except watching it decay...

Last edited by MKPA; 04-27-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 PM
MotorMouth

Funny... Brass whether civilian or military want your opinions...
Waynesville had a nice meeting for dealing with the low water crossing on old H.
They had a magician. Actually an engineer who with outdated flood zone maps proceeded to spout facts that might or might not be true. (50 year flood maybe it would work or hundred year flood definitely fail) i saw Putting in three culverts under a bridge is cutting out total area of flow... Constricting what is there... So we have more volume going into less area... But that's ok according to the engineer..
The citizens finally got him to admit it was primarily to move traffic to and from the high school... So because Waynesville R-6 built in an area with just two access roads one of which has always flooded the City to keep its biggest corporate taxpayer happy will build ANOTHER bridge so the Lil darlings can speed to the traffic light that backs up traffic to the hill... The only consequence will be maybe two or three or more houses might flood...
They will build the bridge... Just like the school district tied a culvert into the one behind my house tripling the flow of water and debris into a six inch pipe that was adequate for the original 125 foot long culvert all to evade a lawsuit by two homeowners whose back yards washed away from water run off from a vo-tech homesite...they finished it and turned it over to the city who has never ever cleaned out the small drain which when its blocked sends water into my backyard and house... Grrr every time I'm knee deep in cold water I wish I had never granted that easement allowing them to build tiger street.....
Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM
MotorMouth

MKPA your blood pressure is up by the sounds of your last two posts.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:12 PM
MotorMouth

Is that the timer?
I hear ringing.....

Lol

Nah I just realize I'm a small cog in the machine, the city's been reneging on everything it's touched on my property
(They finally buried 10 feet of an empty conduit they had left sticking up on my property, it's still empty but they had to dig up my yard to put in an empty conduit.(?).. They were gonna bring in dirt and seed.. That was a year ago... Sort of like the hill they built in my yard to elevate tiger street.. They never planted grass because the slope was too steep it would wash away.. So 900 bucks of dirt, netting and seed later I get to cut the grass. I reset all the clocks in the house at least once a week cause of the power outages. The neighborhood has underground power lines and if the queen of darkness (utilities head) tells me one more time its squirrels in the lines.)

Thank goodness I'm not in the actual flood plain...

Yet

Last edited by MKPA; 04-27-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
MotorMouth

I have always said "Do not depend on the military for the only source of employment in the area". You never know when CUT's may happen. Think of what could happen if the military went back to there own school system in the states like they have over seas....
Old 04-28-2013, 03:49 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKPA View Post
The community that really is not too enthusiastic in the first place..(why are all the hotels and restaurants on I-44 frontage, and pawn shops and burger joints on Mo ave?) Interstate business is more important? Real estate is frozen closer to the fort? Across from Arby's is that barn and motel and nobody is doing anything with it except watching it decay...
Seriously, what would "the community" have to do to make you think they're "enthusiastic"? They've gone to the military AT EVERY TURN and asked them what they wanted to see added to the local area. #1, school - so we've been building schools and improving facilities all over the place. #2, medical facilities - those are being added as fast as medical providers can be convinced to move here. #3, overnight lodging - we've gone from about 250 rooms (of questionable quality) to 1300 or more new franchised facilities. #4 eating establishments - look at how many of those have been added just in recent years. #5 single-family and apartment housing - my gosh, it's exploded, in just a VERY few years. MANY area businesses, large and small, have gone WAY out on a limb to upgrade facilities or services, many too far to survive ANY slowdown. Every time a "new" type of business comes in or is proposed, the military puts in an alternative, subsidized with tax money, in direct "competition". Add to that the fact that there have been SEVERAL large-scale projects started, money invested, ground moved, then the banking support dries up with Bama's precious "booming economy". That's all just money flushed down the toilet, for all practical purposes. So, with all due respect, I'd like to show you a picture of the area just a FEW years ago, versus now, and see exactly how else you'd define "enthusiasm".
Don't forget, the city governments don't MAKE businesses, and they can't force them to come. All they can do is offer what we have, in land, resources and workforce (which is primarily retired military and military spouses, and you've already made it clear what you thought of the courteous, friendly service they've provided you), and hope to attract new business or industry.
Personally, as one who's been in the middle of all this for quite a while, it looks to me like there's been a phenomenal community effort to demonstrate "enthusiasm" for our military neighbors.
End of rant - please don't take it personally ....
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
MotorMouth

The sales tax received from the purchases the military and civilian spend in the community funds the large share of county services such as your sheriff's department.
The school system pays no tax to the community but collects the lions share when it comes to property tax and personal property tax but on the other hand they are also one of the largest employers in the county.
I know alot of folks want all the things that the big city has to offer that we don't have here but by the same token our crime is low compared to the big city and our property tax is much less than Springfield or St. Louis, both of which can be reached in less than a couple of hours drive time.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:59 PM
MotorMouth

Nah.. No problem... But all these empty apartments were Johnny come lately hoping to get some of the military to move off the "New on post-pay your utility housing"
Every business wants its cut of the Army pie...

So.... Now that the businesses have stabilized...there have been no great influxes of military in three years...in that time the wings place and Colton's along with culver have opened...

School? The schools are federally funded supplementally along with our taxes and are quite independent, the school with the federal funds are socking it away, I don't see a sacrifice or any bending over backwards..
The brouhaha over the high school funding was quite amusing as the taxpayers did not want it yet ended up paying.

Medical facilities... They too are buying into the federal dollar... Since the Army hospital is overcrowded and vets are being shuffled out to outside providers the new facilities will not be losing any money
P
Housing? Once again businesses were building like crazy when the new housing on post was being built... Ummm why? What evil plot forced contractors to compete with Sam?
Hotels went up when army schools did not have
enough billeting to house soldier/students.. The Army was filling rooms directly from its own guest housing desk...

It's all right RR
Greed can be a civic benefit

But voicing ones opinion is seldom productive....
Apparently

Lol