Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Classifieds > Auto, RV, Boat, Atv, Parts

Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default Keep old or buy new??

I am really happy with my car, but it has some miles on it and is over 5 years old (looks new and is clean as a whistle). Do you'll trade up and keep a newer car with less miles or drive one until the tires fall off?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM
MotorMouth

I drive mine till they die completely.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:28 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge View Post
I am really happy with my car, but it has some miles on it and is over 5 years old (looks new and is clean as a whistle). Do you'll trade up and keep a newer car with less miles or drive one until the tires fall off?
The newer vehicles (90's and up) handle high mileage better than the older ones. It's not at all unusual nowadays to find a car with over 200K on it that's still going strong. It pays to search the internet for service problems and other issues with a particular model. If one looks new and is "clean as a whistle", it's worth keeping, as long as you aren't tired of it. Our problem is that our needs change, and that drives us to a trade sooner than we'd like to, more often than not.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM
MotorMouth

Ehhh, I actually have done both, and regretted each over time...
My old 150 was old and sent a shock into the bed.. Sure an easy fix bad trade in value due to the miles but cosmetically it was new and mechanically was bullet proof...,, then I traded it on the new v6 ford 150... Every month I make the note to the credit union I slap my head!
Then there was the mistake where I really really really liked a Dodge Dakota 6 cyl sport model.. Of course as soon as the three/thirtysix warranty went I had to put Two transmissions, a rebuilt engine into it and I kept dumping cash into it, brakes, exhaust
Finally gave it the coup de grace after it left me stranded again on I44...main bearings spun..
Kept it way too long and put too many hard earned dollars into that one..

If it works and its mechanically sound keep it until it developes some really bad symptoms
Then dump some stop smoke in, use really heavy oil and roll into the lot ready to trade..

There's a Chevy dealer who gave top dollar on a truck I traded, when I got into the new blazer the guy taking my plate off the truck to put on the blazer exclaimed, "Mister you got a serious transmission leak!" Pointing to a river of red pouring downhill from the old truck..

I smiled and said "it's your truck now buddy!"

The stop leak had lasted through the appraisers test drive and that's what counted..
Whew!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
MotorMouth

I don't like trading auto's, it's the car salesman that get's my blood pressure up, just mark the out the door bottom dollar price on the window and be done with it.
I don't want to haggle I just want to get a vehicle for a price I think is fair.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Muddy Member

Every day is a risk with a vehicle. It doesn't really increase the risk exponentially to gamble with an older well maintained rig versus a new one under warranty. If you're happy with it and aren't spending a fortune keeping it going, keep it going. You should be able to read the signs of when its time to unload it before it falls apart around you.

Remember "The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
MotorMouth

I bought a 96 GMC last year with over 200,000 on it and havent had to dump hardly anything (knock on wood) in it! previous owner took great care of it~
Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
I don't like trading auto's, it's the car salesman that get's my blood pressure up, just mark the out the door bottom dollar price on the window and be done with it.
I don't want to haggle I just want to get a vehicle for a price I think is fair.
Me too, rudy, me too. Bottom dollar price on the window will never happen, I'm afraid. Too many people walk in and pay sticker price.

I had a car salesman try to "steal" my used car. He offered me a price that made my blood boil. I took it home and sold it for 5,000 more than he offered me. GRrrr He was going to make 5 on my old car and no telling what on the new car.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 AM
MotorMouth

I have a buddy in the legislature that is also a car dealer in his real life. According to him, trading before 50,000 miles has the highest value, declines some at 75,000, and he said if you reach around 90,000 you might as well drive it till it's dead or keep it for a 2nd car if you have a need for one.

I have kept my old Dodge Dakota for that reason, it's nice to have a truck around for bad weather that isn't a "farm truck", and at a dealer it's not worth anything. Other than a ding in the back bumper, it cleans up like new. Worth much more to me just to have it than what they will give me.

Dave
Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 AM
MotorMouth

I have bought my last two vehicles from Enterprize rent a car. They are one year old, usually with about 15,000 miles. And they have no haggle pricing. It works well for me