Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Everything Else > 4x4 & Off Road

Old 01-21-2007, 01:55 AM
geoman

Default Who all is into ATV's, dirt bikes, off roading, atc.

For those of you that enjoy trail riding Missouri has a new alliance formed working to try and keep the legal trails and riding areas that we have now and open up some new ones. MOHVA (Missouri Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance) http://www.mohva.org is a fairly new non-profit organization that promotes legal use of ATV's, dirtbikes, and off road trucks.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:05 AM
PaulaRandolph

Default Re: Who all is into ATV's, dirt bikes, off roading, atc.

I am. Have a Polaris 700 twin.? The first time I ever rode it, I was used to a 250, and being a dumb female, didn't make the connection between 250 and 700. It took off with me. Our old one also had a throttle problem, you really had to give it gas to get it to go. All I can say is that it is a good thing I have a substantial behind, or I would have been holding on like superman!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaRandolph
All I can say is that it is a good thing I have a substantial behind, or I would have been holding on like superman!
That being the case (you said it, not me), when you talking about riding in the snow sitting on a skateboard - are you sure you didn't mean "surfboard"? ;D ;D

(I know I'm gonna pay fer that one!)
Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 AM
PaulaRandolph

Naw, expected someone to say something like that. In my own defense, my behind was sticking out all over the place, but I never had so much fun.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
geoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary

Good to know about your group. It might also be helpful if you all would help get the message out to NOT ride on trails that are posted NOT to be ridden on. We almost lost a bunch of horse trails in the Mark Twain National Forrest due to a bunch on dirt bikes and four wheelers. The forrestry department felled trees and brought rocks in blocking our trails to keep motorized vehicles out. We will respect your trails if you will respect ours. Share the road and ride safe.
We do, we promote legal ride areas just as much as we do safety. I would love to open those trails up out there at Devils Elbow for all of us. Just seems that there are a lot of quad riders that do not respect the trails or horseback riders, and even other ATV riders. I have while riding dirt roads and other trail systems in other states come across horseback riders, I have also talked to many of them. If I see a horse I pull the quad over, as far away from the horse as possible, shut off the engine, and remove my helmet. Most of the people will wave and say thank you. We are trying to promote this and I do believe that we can all share the trails but I also believe we need to work together to keep them but it is going to take all of us, not just some. It is going to become tougher to keep these also, I am not going to mention any names here but there are certain groups that are now trying to stop horses from crossing rivers and even trying to stop boats in the shallow rivers like the gasconade and piney. Riding on illegal trails reflects negatively on all riders, not just the ones doing it.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
MotorMouth

My hubby has a dune buggy and it is a blast~ we have to go far away to ride it tho :'( but i LOVE to ride (except when he runs over cow patties, they tend to fly back up at me! especially since he put new tires on it!) going thru mug bogs is a blast too(keeps poision ivy away when your covered in mud!) LOL
Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice princess
My hubby has a dune buggy and it is a blast~ we have to go far away to ride it tho :'( but i LOVE to ride (except when he runs over cow patties, they tend to fly back up at me! especially since he put new tires on it!) going thru mug bogs is a blast too(keeps poision ivy away when your covered in mud!) LOL
we like to call this one, Yard Dart, hehe
Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

and the sinker

Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
geoman

Ice Princess, there are several places here in Missouri that you can ride that, St Joe State Park is one of the more popular ones and would be a blast in a dune buggy. It is an old mine that was donated to the state. The main part of the park is ground up tailings that is the consistincy of sand. There are some trails and some pretty nasty mud holes there also. $3/day to ride and they have campgrounds. It is about a 2 hr drive from here. There are several others, if you are interested in them let me know and I will look them up for you. I wiill check on the requirements for dunebuggys and let you know. The price may be different than ATV's.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoman
Ice Princess, there are several places here in Missouri that you can ride that, St Joe State Park is one of the more popular ones and would be a blast in a dune buggy. It is an old mine that was donated to the state. The main part of the park is ground up tailings that is the consistincy of sand. There are some trails and some pretty nasty mud holes there also. $3/day to ride and they have campgrounds. It is about a 2 hr drive from here. There are several others, if you are interested in them let me know and I will look them up for you. I wiill check on the requirements for dunebuggys and let you know. The price may be different than ATV's.
the price is the same for buggies, trucks, atvs, etc. i have every intention of linking those sites on our "links" page when i get the main pages recreated.