Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > General > Made In USA

Made In USA This will be a place to post things you have found or bought recently that are still Made In USA

Old 10-24-2016, 05:14 PM
MotorMouth

Harry Carey is turning over in his grave.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:41 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Wow, the Louisiana Grill went to pieces. First the cover had a leak so the pellets got wet and jammed the screw drive.. error 1 code, emptied the hopper, manually turned the screw to empty the auger. Load new pellets ....and error code 2 now the fan won't start. Opened the panel and the fan wiring is blown apart leading from the command circuit.. replace the wiring, nothing. Order a replacement fan, it arrives.. fuse blows and the board is blown..
So
The new traeger grill is great though. Parts if needed will be cheaper, better designed pellet bin, water can't get in, worse warranty length. The rotary dial control knob works easier but doesn't provide temperatures from 180 degrees to 600 in 5 degree increments. Four temps only smoke, 220, 325, 375 and high. And the Traeger struggles to keep them +/- 15 of those.
But for some reason the smoke taste is stronger with the Traeger...
Overall they cost about the same, in the three years with the Louisiana it was always tightening or replacing parts so it's demise was well foreseen. The Traeger is all stainless steel with the burn pot, drip tray and heat diffuser. I think that alone is a buy point. The LG was iron and was already showing a burn through over the burn pot.

There ya go. If you're looking for an interesting alternative to charcoal or gas grills that's my take on it..
Old 04-28-2017, 06:56 PM
MotorMouth

Did you get the Traeger in St Robert?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Crocker, Newcomb hardware, they assemble it too!
Good people..they also carry food grade wood pellets
Old 04-29-2017, 07:56 AM
MotorMouth

Was wondering, I've heard the ad for them on the radio(KFBD) at the new store in Hidden Valley Shopping center, Meat Shop from Linn Creek that opened up and Marv talks about them with the store rep.
I've had a pellet stove for heating for a number of years, can you use the same type of pellets for both appliances?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

No, the heating pellets are made specifically to provide a higher btu. They contain bark and are made of various woods that impart bad taste and even poisons

The food grade pellets are stripped trees and contain only the type of wood on the package, some are 100% like hickory, mesquite while "blends" are mixtures to give less ash, more heat and flavors. One of my four types is a 'competition blend' OHC which is oak, hickory and cherry in a 40, 40, 20 mix.

I buy off the manufacturer at 1/2, 3/4 or ton. The 3/4 lasts me @2 years and the cost was 460 with shipping. How much propane would have cost would have been higher for two years..

It was a big jump but after a month of plain chicken, oven baked after the damn tick bite diagnosis, I had to do something...or buy stock in Epi pens.

Last edited by MKPA; 04-29-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-29-2017, 09:58 AM
MotorMouth

Who says an old DOG can't learn a new trick, you told me something I didn't know about the wood pellets.
I have had a pellet stove for around ten years, after I had my first back surgery the doctor told me not to lift anything over twenty pounds so my days of burning regular wood ended.
Even if the bags weigh forty pounds I still like to burn the pellets as it cuts down on the propane costs for my old house.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:16 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Also, Traeger itself lists the only authorized dealer within 15 miles of waynesville as Newcomb. So I don't know where or what the grills from the meat shop are coming from..
Old 04-29-2017, 10:50 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKPA View Post
Also, Traeger itself lists the only authorized dealer within 15 miles of waynesville as Newcomb. So I don't know where or what the grills from the meat shop are coming from..
Mebbe a new provider since their website was updated?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Stopped in there today, clerk was amazed traeger won't show them. They do have traegers for sale as well as their wood pellets. No rubs or BBQ sauces with the traeger name. But lots of other great spice rubs, marinades and sauces. They wil smoke any meat purchased there.