Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Family Central > Recipes & Home Cookin'

Old 08-26-2014, 03:44 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default Louisiana Grills

It's here, the next generation of outdoor cooking...

Today the Louisiana grill is sitting on my back porch, just got in from the initial burn in...
http://www.louisiana-grills.com/index.php/grills
It's a pellet grill that augers food grade wood pellets into a burn cup and sends blown air down the auger tube to the burn cup... Think blacksmiths forge with a bellows, I opened the lid and man oh man the flames were a foot out of the cup and almost singed my eyebrows, temp showed 625 degrees at the lid while the interior probe was holding steady at 500. The neat thing about this stove is I can sear, grill, smoke, convection cook and even bake using flavored pellets. Right now I have ten pounds of hickory in the hopper another ten in reserve and twenty pounds of oak/cherry/mesquite blend in storage.

The neighbors are already wandering into the backyard thinking I'm doing ribs again in the propane smoker... Got it chained down...the one guy was asking how much did it weigh...

So far I'm impressed, it came with one twenty pound bag of pellets, front and side shelves, thermometer/meat probe that plugs into the auger control (once the turkey cooking at 350 reaches 165 or whatever temp I want internally it slows the temp burn down to 180/smoke.)

It wasn't cheap but I did get a deal off a Osage beach dealer, Picks Gallery is off highway 42 next to the Meeks and they have a Buncha propane and wood pellet grills.. Took this one off the showroom. Good people willing to deal..

Of well, was gonna do some chicken but I want to brine it first so I'll sear some chicken Italian sausages tonight to go with penne and marinara...

If I'm stuck with poultry and seafood I might as well make it taste better...

One creature loves the grill. The German Shepherd has been picky. I usually will throw out hot dog slices into the yard making her work her nose. Since I started using turkey dogs she had declined to find the bits...
Today she went nuts finding each sliver of hickory infused turkey dog...she's still out there quartering the yard...
Too funny.

As for me the one sausage not cut up and simmered in Marinara tasted really really good, the hickory wood imparts a good bit of flavor @ 350 degrees for ten minutes.

I think this is gonna make me like chicken and salmon again..

Last edited by MKPA; 08-26-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:34 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Update: have used it every day sometimes twice a day...just had some wings and foil potatoes with asparagus spears..
Really?
It's just that good
Found a con though:
I'm burning pellets, still cheaper than a tank of propane but it's going faster than I thought.
So I found a place that will sell me a quarter ton of mixed food grade pellets...
Hickory blend, mesquite blend, oak, hickory and cherry and oak, maple and apple.
It runs out to @13 bucks for 20 pounds delivered to the house...

Pros are it's really easy to clean. I use my vacuum to clean the burn cup of ash, every other time. Greased lightning has the racks and exterior looking new, I've tin foiled the stainless steel burner cover, switched it out today so it's been two week since the last time.

If you don't want to put out four figures for a glorified grill, Lowes has one now for under 500.00. Doesn't have a probe though but operates the same as mine otherwise, their pellets are 16 bucks for 20 pounds...

I'm told the ribs are to die for.. Tender and flavorful, come right off the bone...yeah a friend had me do two racks for him... Pure torture smelling them cook and not being able to taste them...
I've done salmon with straight apple pellets... Mmmm basted with a tyme butter mix..grilled asparagus and a nice potato salad..
I'm holding steady at 198 pounds but I'm gonna have to start cutting back....