Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Family Central > Do It Yourself

Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Queen A
Threadstarter  

Default Building a wall

Ok I got the boards, the nails, the cement nails the saw and the band aids and ice. How do I bulid the friggin wall? I'm getting very frustrated at the instructions I'm finding online. I want written instructions with pictures. LOL Do they make a do it yourself handbook for women? haha
Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 AM
whazup

Default Re: Building a wall

Well all I know is, (From being nosey and walking around in homes that are underconstruction...)
Your going to make a frame, and put the verticle boards....maybe... 13 inches apart, (Or is 16 inches between studs???...) Make sure the verticle boards are short enough that a horizontal board can go at the top and the bottom, with just enough room to be able to stand it up and slide it into place.

Actually prior to sliding into place, drill holes in your concrete where you want to screw in the frame and predrill some holes in the frame. I am not sure what do to with securing it to the ceiling. Just make sure there isn't any duct work or anything you might mess up...

RR, this ain't so easy talkin' this man stuff! :o

Geoman HELP!!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 AM
MotorMouth

How the crap did you get the boards, nails etc. if you don't even know how you're gonna build the wall?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:04 AM
PaulaRandolph

Ok, A, best way to explain it in womanese, figure out where you want the wall, mark the top and bottom of the place where you want the wall, measure from another wall to that place to make sure that both sides of your soon to be wall are going to be square with the room itself. God help ya if the room ain't square to the next room, that sometimes happens. Anyway, measure again to see how tall the wall is going to be. Oh, before I forget, 2x4's are not really two inches by four inches, go figure on that one, who is the genius that did that? Measure one more time to see how tall the wall is going to be, then take off the width (supposed to be 2 inches, but it ain't remember?) from the top and bottom of your measurement. These will be the headers and footers of your wall. Now, you have two choices, I like the second choice better than the first, but will give you both. You can cut the boards, assemble the wall, and then fight it to get it into place as stated before, by "sliding" it in, or you can put the header up and the footer down, and then measure one more time, just to be safe, and cut your first inside board. This is where it gets a little tricky, you are going to measure from the center of that board (the supposed 2 inch part) to the center of the next board (the supposed 2 inch part) and this measurement needs to be at the most 16 inches. This is what they call 16 inches on center. Now, when you nail these boards to your header and footer, you are going to use a toenail, no not the one on your foot, it is a way to put the nail in that will grab both boards. To accomplish this correctly might take some practice, but here is what I have learned from years of doing this the hard way. Go down the board, or up, about an inch and a half from the point where the boards intersect. Now place your nail at a 45 degree angle to the board that is up and down, and going toward the board that is going across. Very lightly tap this nail in until you get it good and set in place, do not I repeat do not just whack the thing, that will hurt your hand or make your thumb fall off in a few days. Once you get it set in, this is best to judge when the nail isn't moving around when you push on it, then go ahead and whack it in, it is going to go up, or down, into the header or footer board. Repeat this process across the span of your wall. If you end up with an odd ball out piece, that is say 12 inches wide instead of 16 inches wide, then that is okay. Just always always always remember the side you began on, so that you always know where the studs are located. Otherwise, buy a stud finder, and man could more women use those, but they don't work on men. Anyway, back to wall building. After you have your frame up, lemme know, if it is drywall or what some call sheetrock that you are putting up, that is much more complicated than say wainscotting, which is expensive, but oh so simple to put up.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:09 AM
PaulaRandolph

By the way, if you need some help, I can help you, but only on Sundays.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:11 AM
whazup

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat
How the crap did you get the boards, nails etc. if you don't even know how you're gonna build the wall?
LOL...probably just grabbed a handful of this, handful of that..... Said "load me up some of those long 2x4's" and just headed home.

When my hubby goes to visit his family, and leaves me home alone, he never knows what will occur. I get these "visions" and just go for it. I know Brad at Shelton's laughs when he sees me walk in, he knows I am up to something. One time I busted the blade on my husband's band saw trying to cut up trellis to go under a deck. I couldn't get the blade out so, off I went for to get Brad to help me
: )
Some jobs work out well.. some not so well...some get a little hairy and dangerous and scare me..
Like rewiring a ceiling light in the laundry room. I finally gave up on that one...
Wiring for a phone line...that went well..
Repainting all the easy stuff on the outside of the house...that went well...left him the 2 story part...

He never gets assigned the "easy visions"
Old 02-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Queen A
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat
No my brother in law told me what I'd need, so I got it. I had extra sheet rock from finishing the garage. YES I learned how to hang sheet rock and finished hubby's garage for him. My brother and sister in law came over one day and worked on it, then I finished up the rest to surprise my husband. That was crazy, up on ladder trying to get the stupid sheet rock in the right place without breaking it or my neck. It was interesting.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Diesel

Did you get your wall built yet?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Queen A
Threadstarter  

nope I am doing it next Saturday, because I'm not even in town this weekend
Old 02-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaRandolph
Oh, before I forget, 2x4's are not really two inches by four inches, go figure on that one, who is the genius that did that??
LOL...I can explain that one. The measurement 2x4 is the size the boards are cut to, but after they are kilned (dried) they shrink from loss of water content.