Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > General > Made In USA

Made In USA This will be a place to post things you have found or bought recently that are still Made In USA

Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Active Insider
Threadstarter  

Default Made in the Good Ol' USA

The company I work for is a American small business, out of Colorado - I won't post the business name, but we make every effort to buy every component here in the US - sadly it just isn't possible to make heavy/industrial machinery with just domestic stuff these days.

Our punitive corporate tax rates and 'environmental compliance' laws, etc have simply forced a lot of American businesses out of certain manufacturing sectors - particularly textiles.

We verified during a recent audit that 95% of our parts/peices/components are domestic - hard to do these days, and can double or even triple your price but worth mention that there are still some very Red/White/Blue companies out there.

Remember when WalMart used to proudly display "Made in the USA"? When was the last time you saw THAT at wallyworld?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_hix View Post
We verified during a recent audit that 95% of our parts/peices/components are domestic - hard to do these days, and can double or even triple your price but worth mention that there are still some very Red/White/Blue companies out there.

Remember when WalMart used to proudly display "Made in the USA"? When was the last time you saw THAT at wallyworld?

WallyWorld really needs to have some "Made in China" signs made. And that "double or triple the price" usually translates to double or triple the quality of the materials used, and final product delivered, too, in our experience. Our great country is gonna have to re-learn how to appreciate and produce quality, and win our industry back. Kickin' the bloodsucking unions down the road will have to be one of the first steps in any halfway serious effort, too. They've been robbing us blind for decades, and corrupting the political landscape as they go.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Muddy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_hix View Post
I won't post the business name,
why not?

Remember "The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."
Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfly View Post
why not?
Hahahaha .. the unemployment rolls are high enough as it is ....
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
MotorMouth

I was looking on ebay for an American native Indian blanket the other day, they do have some listed for sale at various prices.
One that caught my eye was about the size I wanted and had a pattern that was nice and had a tag that makes you think a certain Indian religous school was the original maker of the blanket until you see the made in China name at the bottom of the tag under the schools name.
Needless to say I didn't buy the Indian blanket!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
MotorMouth

It just a shame that over the past few decades we have lost so many of these type of jobs. But we must also realize that many of these type jobs are lower skilled labor too. Now, before you start jumping up and down, I said MANY not all. I believe to many American's thought they could quite school and just go to work at the shoe plant or whatever plant in their home town. Well, as wages keep going up and of course caused the price of those product to also go up, we then didn't buy the more expensive American made product. So, what I'm trying to say is maybe, just maybe we have done this to ourself. Just saying.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
MotorMouth

So? When is a lower skilled labor job below consideration? I mean if the wolf is biting on your heels why not flip a burger?, tote materials, menial labor is still a payday maybe not as much as the media PR secretary with a masters in liberal arts...but at the end of the day it pays a bill

I admit

I was a cook at Kentucky Fried Chicken when 16 years old...
and I fought hard to get it...

now look at me...
a regular captain of industry......
the truth is (It just kept the cash coming in while I looked for better and better jobs until I found a career I liked)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
Well, as wages keep going up and of course caused the price of those product to also go up, we then didn't buy the more expensive American made product. So, what I'm trying to say is maybe, just maybe we have done this to ourself. Just saying.
We have ABSOLUTELY done it to ourselves. We had the technology, raw materials, consumer base, everything. But we got greedy - formed unions (with considerable help from the comrades), drove prices up with the wages, began to get free stuff (perks), and here we are.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKPA View Post
So? When is a lower skilled labor job below consideration? I mean if the wolf is biting on your heels why not flip a burger?, tote materials, menial labor is still a payday maybe not as much as the media PR secretary with a masters in liberal arts...but at the end of the day it pays a bill

I admit

I was a cook at Kentucky Fried Chicken when 16 years old...
and I fought hard to get it...

now look at me...
a regular captain of industry......
the truth is (It just kept the cash coming in while I looked for better and better jobs until I found a career I liked)
Your correct, I also worked full time at a grocery store while I was in school and before I joined the Army. What I see is that MANY American's today will not even consider such jobs, because they are above these type of jobs. Hell, I went to work at COPELAND for several months when I first retired, not because I needed the money, but because I couldn't see myself NOT working and just going to college. I could have made it just fine without the job so I worked a weekend shift and had the week free for my college.

We now have way to many people that expect to have the Government take care of them. And that was proven by the 6 Nov vote.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
MotorMouth

I had people apply for truck driver jobs that expected to start at $15.00 per hour, wish we could have paid that kind of money but we can't unless you the taxpayers want to pay much higher tax's.
One of our problems in this area is the pay scale at Ft.Wood verses what private business can pay, we can't compete just ask the sheriff.