Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > General > Made In USA

Made In USA This will be a place to post things you have found or bought recently that are still Made In USA

Old 05-17-2018, 08:03 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default The Belle

On one of my trips back east I usually stop in Ohio, Wright-Patterson AFB to be specific. I stop by the AirForce Museum..there’s some birds I’ve flown in, others I watched take off and land while walking alert birds parked on the ramp. Still remember that with a valid ID card I could drive to the restoration hanger on the base proper. A small sign over the one man door declared this was the restoration hanger. One man was there, a volunteer restorer, I walked past a Japanese “Nick” fighter it’s engine missing and canopy on the floor. Facing a displaced green wall I realized it was a wing laying on two empty motor mounts. Peeking around the wing I simply could not believe what I saw on the forward fuselage.
“Memphis Belle” her back was to me dressed in blue! “Surprised?” The gentleman asked? “My uncle Andy flew B-17’s, she’s a legend”, He smiled “nope the men who flew them were the Legends!”
I think that was about ten years ago. Her wings off, engines missing, no turrets or plexiglass in place. Patch panels of silver dotting her fuselage. She still took my breath away. Years later Andy passed away and I thought of the Belle.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...News%20Roundup
Next trip east I’m stopping at Wright-Pat. *one thing about the movie, Belle was in a red dress, in real life the pilots side is blue and the same pose but in red dress on the copilots side*

Last edited by MKPA; 05-17-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:14 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default Chiltonís Military editions

The People Behind Those Exhaustively Detailed Car Manuals Are Doing A-10s and Tanks Now - Popular Mechanics
Finally I can see a breakdown in my Tanks laser targeting module!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 PM
MotorMouth

Wright-Patterson was my childhood hang out. I remember going from 1957 up the last time in 1998. We are from Ohio and grandparents lived about five miles from the gate. They use to have a rocket st the old gate and dressed it up like Santa st Christmas. Way back when, most of the birds were all outside lined up. It has changed s lot over the years.