Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  


Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Family Central > Home & Garden

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 PM
007
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

We bought some of the zuchinni squash today, along with some corn on the cob, and mom bought a rhubarb pie from the Amish......gosh it was soooo good.....We also bought some huge tomatoes and of course I had to have my tomato sandwich.....they really do grow some good food.......
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
007
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well gosh my tomato plants have pooped out....this heat is absolutely killing them....oh well...I got a few out of them.....look out next year.....
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 PM
whazup
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Mine are too 007, although I have had a great crop this year. The Zucchini plant disappeared within 24 hours. Broccoli flowered overnight. It's just down to the tops of the tomato plants, the peppers and one lone cucumber plant.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Shanny's Avatar
Shanny Shanny is offline
MotorMouth
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: rural Pulaski County
Posts: 6,646
Default

If they died from the bottom up, it's soil-borne blight, not drought. We used to get one good picking from our tomatoes & it was downhill from there. Every year it got worse until we finally stopped planting tomatoes in the garden. For a coupla years we planted in tubs and used sterilized potting mix which defeated the blight, but was a lot of hassle, considering how HUGE tomatoes plants can get - the slightest breeze would blow the whole apparatus over. If anyone finds a cure for blight, be sure to let us know so we can start growing tomatoes again!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 PM
river_rat's Avatar
river_rat river_rat is offline
MotorMouth
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waynesville, Mo.
Posts: 17,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
If they died from the bottom up, it's soil-borne blight, not drought. We used to get one good picking from our tomatoes & it was downhill from there. Every year it got worse until we finally stopped planting tomatoes in the garden. For a coupla years we planted in tubs and used sterilized potting mix which defeated the blight, but was a lot of hassle, considering how HUGE tomatoes plants can get - the slightest breeze would blow the whole apparatus over. If anyone finds a cure for blight, be sure to let us know so we can start growing tomatoes again!
Maybe that's what is wrong with the "flower garden" just in front of our house (where I would most like for it to be attractive and inviting). Whatever I plant there dies, from some kind of fungus, looks like. A mature, healthy hosta will rot off at the ground and fall over in just a few days. A Jasmine bush never grew an inch, same with the boxwood. The only thing surviving is the yucca (yucky) plant that was there in the beginning, which I've tried to kill for FOUR YEARS!! I dig it out, only to discover that I've left a splinter of root .... in a few weeks, it's coming back up in FOUR NEW PLACES!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Shanny's Avatar
Shanny Shanny is offline
MotorMouth
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: rural Pulaski County
Posts: 6,646
Default

That's weird, but as far as I know, the blight I've described affects only tomatoes.

I didn't know yucca was quite that persistent! I like the looks of it, but then we lived so long in Colorado where it thrives.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
river_rat's Avatar
river_rat river_rat is offline
MotorMouth
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waynesville, Mo.
Posts: 17,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
That's weird, but as far as I know, the blight I've described affects only tomatoes.

I didn't know yucca was quite that persistent! I like the looks of it, but then we lived so long in Colorado where it thrives.
I like the LOOKS of it, too .... just not where our shoulders hafta brush against it to go up the steps! I called the extension the other day, and they said they'd evaluate it if I brought them a bag of the dirt, so I'll try that. If I can remember, I'll post the results in a couple of weeks when I get it back.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM
rudy's Avatar
rudy rudy is offline
MotorMouth
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,012
Default

RR make sure you have washed your hands of any nicotine left over from cigs.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-11-2007, 10:34 AM
marge marge is offline
MotorMouth
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
RR make sure you have washed your hands of any nicotine left over from cigs.
I have always heard that too Rudy. Do not smoke in your garden and do not plant too close to walnut trees. Ole wives tale??
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
rudy's Avatar
rudy rudy is offline
MotorMouth
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,012
Talking

Them old women out live them men.
Must be some truth to it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2013 - Pulaski County Insider, LLC