Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Family Central > Home & Garden

Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Tomatoes

Gosh I am so proud my roma tomatoes are finally producing.....and my cherry tomatoes are producing....now they just need to hurry up and turn red so that I can eat them......heheheeee....yea I was a late starter.....but at least they are growing in the buckets in my back yard and looking good......HOORAY.....tomatoes.....I just love them......
Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 PM
MotorMouth

What do you use the Roma's for?
Sauces or just eat raw?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 PM
whazup

Roma's are my favorite. Great for home made spagetti sauce, and I like them just chopped up in salads. They are super easy to can also!
My cherry's have been turning for about 2 weeks, but my beef steak are just now blooming.
Broccoli is going nuts though!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 PM

Yes, I love my Romas in salads....they are so good, and me and my mom love to just pick up a Roma and eat it......but I also slice them long ways and make me a tomato sandwich too.....I also like to cut them up and use them in my chili and then freeze it for winter.....hmmmmm good.... I love squash zuchinni and yellow but I think it is too late for me to start now....what do you all think...my spell check does not work so if it is spelled wrong I am sorry....
Old 06-19-2007, 07:06 PM
MotorMouth

Do you use Miracle Grow in your soil or just let mama nature do her thing?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:10 PM

Nope I use miracle grow.....always....everytime I used just plain mother nature dirt they pooper out on me....so now for years and years I use miracle grow so that I am sure they get the nutrients they need.....
Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 PM
MotorMouth

If there are any smokers who handle the plants be sure they wash their hands before touching the plants, my dad years ago kept having trouble with his Tomato plants wilting and turning colors before the croaked.
He found out that the nicotine on his hands was the culprit that caused the problem.
Go figure!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Actually that is very true and we learned that a long time ago....so now we wash our hands before we plant anything and after also...cause who wants to smell like tomatoes and dirt.....
Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM
MotorMouth

Plum tomatoes were the only kind we ever grew in recent years, although they weren't Romas - CW found another cultivar we liked better called Viva Italia; a little larger, meatier & sweeter than Romas. I always canned as much as I had jars for & used the rest for everything else. As 007 says, they're fine for slicing if you slice them lengthwise.

And don't forget about fried green tomatoes!!! Pure heaven!!! I found a FGT & bacon sandwich I'll post on the other forum.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Wow a FGY and bacon sandwich...now actually that sounds really good and I have never ate fried green tomatoes.....but I love tomatoes so I am positive it is delicious.....