Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Family Central > Home & Garden

Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

We're presently switching to CFBs as our light bulbs burn out, but we learned a new thing this week. Several of our fixtures - in fact MOST of our fixtures - have removable globes. Fixtures like this require an enclosed-rated CFB, and what we picked up were not. I won't assume that most of what's sitting on the front shelf at the market are not enclosed-rated, but I would suggest that you check, if you have fixtures such as these in your house.

Another thing to remember is that flourescent bulbs burn out quicker when they're switched on/off a lot, and it is recommended that CFBs be used in fixtures that are left on at least three hours at a time. Gone are the days of automatically clicking that switch whenever you leave the room for a minute . . .

Old 10-13-2007, 12:34 PM
KBohon

I didn't know they burn out quicker when they are turned on and off a lot.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Muddy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBohon View Post
I didn't know they burn out quicker when they are turned on and off a lot.
any bulb does. a filamented bulb is usually worse about this. vibration is another killer for incandescents. fluorescents that are flipped on and off might not last as long as other fluorescents that are left on, but either one will last longer than an incandescent.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 AM
PaulaRandolph

And, save a ton of money, too. I will ask tomorrow for you shanny to see if we have the ones for enclosed fixtures. We have an incentive at work for everyone to switch to "squiggly" bulbs. I am trying, but they are so expensive, that I don't know if I am going to make my goal.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:11 AM
whazup

We too are trying to make the switch, buying a few at a time every other time we shop.
I can say they are lasting longer than other bulbs. We have a light that went through the little 25 watters like no-body's business. So far the expensive bulbs aren't blowing. *Knocking on wood*
Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 AM
MotorMouth

Just another note on the fluorescent bulbs is that they burn cooler.

We just had new recessed lighting installed in our bathroom and over the tub was a sealed fixture. While working in there for some time that light would go out. I went to check the bulb and fixture was "hotter than blue blazes." With the "sealed fixture" the heat couldn't escape and there is a safety switch in the fixture that cuts the power to the bulb if it gets so hot. Anyway I replaced the bulb with one of high speed, low drag, high dollar, squiggley bulbs and we have had no problems, since.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Muddy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaRandolph View Post
And, save a ton of money, too. I will ask tomorrow for you shanny to see if we have the ones for enclosed fixtures. We have an incentive at work for everyone to switch to "squiggly" bulbs. I am trying, but they are so expensive, that I don't know if I am going to make my goal.
If you look at the real figures on the cost savings, it's minimal at best. I wouldn't use cost savings as a sales pitch on compact fluorescents. when you offset the energy costs with the actual costs of the bulbs...they work out about the same until you get into ultra long term...where NO incandescents go and few fluorescents will venture. most of the publicly available energy usage requirements for these type bulbs are bloated, but in the big picture...it does save alot of money globally. if it only saves you $2 a year on your electric bill, multiply that by the households in the US alone and that would be a pretty attractive number to have in our pockets.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Joey Boots

These bulbs use less energy because they don't produce as much heat as regular ones. Incandescents turn much more electric into heat that isn't used. That's why they are more expensive to run.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Muddy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Boots View Post
These bulbs use less energy because they don't produce as much heat as regular ones. Incandescents turn much more electric into heat that isn't used. That's why they are more expensive to run.
so then leaving the lights on in the winter might actually save energy right?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:58 AM
PaulaRandolph

No one at work seems to know the difference, and looks at me like I am nuts, Shanny, so you are on your own here. Lowe's might know.