Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Opinion > Religion Opinion

Old 08-27-2007, 07:46 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBohon View Post
I guess the first thing that came to my mind is forgiven "by whom?" Maybe by a greater being, yes, but by people who feel duped? Might take longer.

The second thing that crossed was whether it really was a mistake. I mean, the guy sold a house valued at three-quarters of a million dollars. It's not like he's living humbly, just eking by. He's asking for people who will never even SEE the inside of a place like that and asking them to support him while he goes to school. He could work at Burger King, pay off school (and probably the down payment on a new house) and still get by better than most of us ever will. I don't think that is a mistake. It sounds like opportunism.
Unless you have heard, reliably, that the house just sold... it is on the market... now, in real estate, we don't call it "sold" until it's off the market... ... perhaps, (though I do not advocate giving him money for any reason... nor did Adrienne in her post)... he's making payments?? We just don't know. Other than that, agree he's out of line...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 PM
MotorMouth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always taught, and my own delving into scripture has led me to believe that (1) God does not expect Christians to avoid making mistakes, even to the extent that this man has - rather it is taken as a "given" that we WILL occasionally stumble ..... and (2) our redemption (forgiveness) for those "mistakes" lies in a repentant spirit.
Failure to assume that "cloak of repentance" decimates our chances of forgiveness from God OR financial support from human sources, IMHO.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always taught, and my own delving into scripture has led me to believe that (1) God does not expect Christians to avoid making mistakes, even to the extent that this man has - rather it is taken as a "given" that we WILL occasionally stumble ..... and (2) our redemption (forgiveness) for those "mistakes" lies in a repentant spirit.
Failure to assume that "cloak of repentance" decimates our chances of forgiveness from God OR financial support from human sources, IMHO.
Agree and have the same belief... Christians are called to forgive and that is not synonymous with allowing yourself to be unwise... Again, IF the news report is correct... and on this board, we have some reasons not to give full support to every news article...... then it certainly seems he has severe problems. His "mistakes" known before this article, I still call "sin"... and my belief is there are differences there also... to a defined extent. Really like your last sentence...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
BexInTheCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
i SO agree with you...
[enter wild applause here]
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
MotorMouth

Question

I wonder how Mrs.Haggard feels about this episode, most women would have divorced their husband and moved on if there was an affair on their mates part.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 PM
BexInTheCity

"most"
you sure about that?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
I wonder how Mrs.Haggard feels about this episode, most women would have divorced their husband and moved on if there was an affair on their mates part.
At this point, she is apparently holding steady with the marriage... must be painfully difficult...

Bex... I am not at all sure that "most" is accurate... my experience would be...not most...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM
MotorMouth

Maybe most isn't the correct word.
Many may be the correct word.
I wonder how many would stay with a man after the affair was with another man and not a woman?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 PM
MotorMouth

We're making the assumption that his wife wasn't willing to pay whatever the cost to maintain the lifestyle.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
KBohon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis View Post
Unless you have heard, reliably, that the house just sold... it is on the market... now, in real estate, we don't call it "sold" until it's off the market... ... perhaps, (though I do not advocate giving him money for any reason... nor did Adrienne in her post)... he's making payments?? We just don't know. Other than that, agree he's out of line...
Ah, should have said "selling." Had to reread it. Even so, if the price is right, it will sell quickly, and it says that that was the "market value," not the sold price. And then on reading it again, saw that he got a year's pay as severance. I'm not feeling real generous about the guy. I still think it smacks of abuse.