Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Opinion > Religion Opinion

Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
Although I'm not a Catholic, and their beliefs are a complete mystery to me, Mother Teresa was the best of the best, IMO. To realize that she had the same inner conflicts I myself have dealt with, is a revelation I will never forget, and will draw hope from.
(Was that AT ALL clear?)
On the "honor" question; there can be NO defense on that one.
--------
As far as I'm concerned, THIS THREAD justifies this entire board.
It's clear, and I agree, this could uplift thousands of troubled Christians, although the fact that it appears she never broke out of that "dark night of the soul" could conceivably discourage ones who've struggled for years themselves. It's just hard to comprehend how someone could know what anguish she went through most of her life, and then ignore her last wish concerning it. She gave her all for humanity, and "they" took away the last thing she had - her privacy.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Absolutely agree, Shanny... and as this continues to be on my mind and heart, will post again. Not at all to be argumentative, but IF it is all that easy to "take honor out of the equation"... what exactly do we have left? And as for the image of the Cahtolic Church, there are many ways to appear/be humane without discrediting one of their own and a national figure of renown. Only time and handling of future events will discover how many people are helped and how many defeated... and one major reason is that not many... if ANY... will equal her life and therefore endure her difficulties. My belief is simple in this matter... to do the wrong thing, for whatever motive, does not produce betterment for any length of time. I choose not to malign any church, but this was not a decision of integrity... and integrity sown into this world would produce high results. There are living people of measurable stature who have declared their doubts and times of trouble... Billy Graham... Oral Roberts... but it was their decision to share... not pulled from their grave with a graspy greed that declares them and their wishes invalid.

Last edited by stlouis; 08-24-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 PM
KBohon

I think their perspective is that even saints have doubts, that it is normal. And part of being canonized is having humility before God, and doing what's best for God rather than self. Therefore, if honoring her request meant passing up something that could be viewed as having tremendous potential for bringing others into the fold, then it would be putting humans as more important than God.

But then, I am not a religious person as such, and would have respected her wishes if it had been asked of me.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

We may all be 'right' in some perspectives on this... but as a Christian, I can only say, this makes me immeasurably sad...I cannot justify or rationalize it in my mind.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 PM
KBohon

It was not kind, was it?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis View Post
We may all be 'right' in some perspectives on this... but as a Christian, I can only say, this makes me immeasurably sad...I cannot justify or rationalize it in my mind.
Are you talking about the "honor of disclosure"? Or about the information which was disclosed?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:14 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
Are you talking about the "honor of disclosure"? Or about the information which was disclosed?
Sorry, do not fully understand you question... did you read post # 12...
Old 08-24-2007, 10:14 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
...but this was not a decision of integrity... and integrity sown into this world would produce high results. There are living people of measurable stature who have declared their doubts and times of trouble... Billy Graham... Oral Roberts... but it was their decision to share... not pulled from their grave with a graspy greed that declares them and their wishes invalid.
I so agree with this, and so enjoy your turn of phrase!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
I so agree with this, and so enjoy your turn of phrase!
Ahh Shanny... for me one of life's rewards is to respect a person deeply... and then to have that person be an encouragement is delightful... this is not the first time you have delighted me ... our agreement on any thing is just a bonus... and when I haven't agreed, you do cause me to listen more deeply...thank you.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Sorry, do not fully understand you question... did you read post # 12...
I wasn't sure if you were speaking to the decision not to honor the good nun's wishes, or to the fact that she might appear to some to be hypocritical in her endeavors, given her inner turmoil.