Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Opinion > Business Opinion

Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 AM
MotorMouth

What makes me upset is every thing that the civilian's try and do to help the military members by opening a new business or they come up with a good idea (farmers market) the base competes directly with the civilian market.
Just recently on a local radio station they have been advertising that a farmers market is open on post, a new state of the art car wash gets open off base and 6 months later you hear about one going to open on base etc...
I could go on and on, I respect the military and they deserve more than they receive but cutting the local business person's chance of making a living isn't the way it should be done.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:25 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
What makes me upset is every thing that the civilian's try and do to help the military members by opening a new business or they come up with a good idea (farmers market) the base competes directly with the civilian market.
Just recently on a local radio station they have been advertising that a farmers market is open on post, a new state of the art car wash gets open off base and 6 months later you hear about one going to open on base etc...
I could go on and on, I respect the military and they deserve more than they receive but cutting the local business person's chance of making a living isn't the way it should be done.
Billboards along the Interstate advertising on-post housing .... Rudy, how many years has the Army pounded us and other community leaders to improve the infrastructure, and build more single-family housing? Same with recreation - same with retail. And what happens? We make the investment, and they come along with tax-subsidized competition. I'm surprised EVERY time someone opens a new business. I'm thinking, are they just not looking around?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Look at the new hotel across from the commissary...
Yep
I remember when gas was really really really cheaper it was driving off post businesses out of the business. Back in the day it wasn't taxed. But then the argument was to make it competitive and BOOM it was neck and neck with the off post stations.. And it's never gonna go back. Why? Because every penny of that huge profit goes to AAFES.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKPA View Post
Yep
I remember when gas was really really really cheaper it was driving off post businesses out of the business. Back in the day it wasn't taxed. But then the argument was to make it competitive and BOOM it was neck and neck with the off post stations.. And it's never gonna go back. Why? Because every penny of that huge profit goes to AAFES.
Exactly right.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

But of course I'm right...

Most of the time
Except that one time
I still think that planter was suspicious...
Lol
Old 09-17-2015, 01:11 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
But of course I'm right...

Most of the time
Except that one time
I still think that planter was suspicious...
Lol
"Right" - I'm gonna purge that word from my vocabulary - so I don't give you another opportunity to "Donald Trumpet" ....
Old 09-19-2015, 02:03 PM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Yep
That is 100% correct, almost all of the stuff you all have mentioned on this thread is due to AAFES and not the military. My wife worked around the gas station when they changed how they prices gas and they have been making a killing on the Soldiers ever since. I haven't bought gas on post in years, and will not either until they change their policy. Every other Post I've been on sells gas cheaper then off post, not here. The Commissary is a major benefit, we retirees earned by spending most of our adult lives in the military and that my be going away at some point, if things keep going like they have. We do not use the PX at all, because it's a waste and we purchase everything local, for the most part.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
"Right" - I'm gonna purge that word from my vocabulary - so I don't give you another opportunity to "Donald Trumpet" ....
Thank you RR, that would be very helpful. He's got a big enough head already, BAHAHAHA.

Last edited by MEL; 09-19-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-20-2015, 12:13 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
That is 100% correct, almost all of the stuff you all have mentioned on this thread is due to AAFES and not the military. You're absolutely right - thank you for making the distinction I should have made clear when I posted.

We do not use the PX at all, because it's a waste and we purchase everything local, for the most part. And thank you also, on behalf of the civilian business community. Without folks who think like you do, Ft. Wood would be surrounded by a ghost town - it's way too close, already.
--------

Thank you RR, that would be very helpful. He's got a big enough head already, BAHAHAHA.
We just gotta stick together, and keep his feet on the ground ('cause you KNOW what happens to those air-heads otherwise).
Old 09-20-2015, 12:14 PM
MotorMouth

From what I see, most people that purchase from the PX are trainees, most permanent party go to Wal-Mart for most things. Now the Commissary is used a lot if you have any sense, because as I said, that is a major benefit we have earned after travel all over the world. I will buy some stuff local, but not much when it comes to groceries.