Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Classifieds > Auto, RV, Boat, Atv, Parts

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM
MotorMouth

I wouldn't buy a new vehicle. (too much Dave Ramsey indoctrination) Today a NEW vehicle costs more than what I paid for my house(20 + years ago. If you have to finance a vehicle, I'd think long and hard before going into debt for one. My wife's car developed an expensive electrical problem but we decided to take it to the dealer and have it repaired for about the same amount as 2 months "car payment".
I enjoy the "haggling" part of car trading, but that's just me.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge View Post
Me too, rudy, me too. Bottom dollar price on the window will never happen, I'm afraid. Too many people walk in and pay sticker price.

I had a car salesman try to "steal" my used car. He offered me a price that made my blood boil. I took it home and sold it for 5,000 more than he offered me. GRrrr He was going to make 5 on my old car and no telling what on the new car.
Always better to sell it yourself - then do some research, take the cash and buy one outright on YOUR terms.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep. Day View Post
I have a buddy in the legislature that is also a car dealer in his real life. According to him, trading before 50,000 miles has the highest value, declines some at 75,000, and he said if you reach around 90,000 you might as well drive it till it's dead or keep it for a 2nd car if you have a need for one.

I have kept my old Dodge Dakota for that reason, it's nice to have a truck around for bad weather that isn't a "farm truck", and at a dealer it's not worth anything. Other than a ding in the back bumper, it cleans up like new. Worth much more to me just to have it than what they will give me.
Nowadays, with the improvements in vehicle engine life, you can buy a car that's pretty well depreciated out for a fraction of new, maybe put a little in it to bring it back up to speed, get several years' use out of it, then sell it for most of what you originally paid, if you were careful and bought it right. Lots of folks are like us, and can't afford to pay union extortionists to build a truck for us.

Last edited by river_rat; 10-17-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 AM
MotorMouth

I bought my truck in Dec.2004 it was new at that time, I have a son who works for Ford in another state and I got to use the family and friends discount from Ford.
I got $7000.00 off the sticker price with this discount, just about the same time all the dealers started offering huge discounts on vehicles, some up to $8000.00.
If the dealers can sell vehicles with that big of a discount and still make money on them something is terribly wrong with the original price of those vehicles.
I guess gouging is the word I was looking for.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
I bought my truck in Dec.2004 it was new at that time, I have a son who works for Ford in another state and I got to use the family and friends discount from Ford.
I got $7000.00 off the sticker price with this discount, just about the same time all the dealers started offering huge discounts on vehicles, some up to $8000.00.
If the dealers can sell vehicles with that big of a discount and still make money on them something is terribly wrong with the original price of those vehicles.
I guess gouging is the word I was looking for.
And that's just at the dealer end. Then there's the crazy wages and bennies the union workers get ... I have a BIL who always said, "What kind of moron decided it made sense to hire idiots off the street, pay them $50 an hour plus 70% of that when they retire, with free health care, to build a truck to sell to folks like me, who's out here scraping by on $7 an hour?". That always resonated with me.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM
MotorMouth

Marge, all the above has been good advice. I'm like a lot of people, I tend to drive my vehicles for many years. My current 2002 Tundra has about 130K miles and still looks great. The only money I've put into this vehicle through the years have been regular maintenance funds like tires, battery, etc. I plan on keeping this baby until she starts causing me some problems.

My wifes last car was a 1997 Civic she drove for over 12 years. When I finally put that car out to pasture, we got a little more than KBB value and she got a new Mazda 6, which she loves. If I wouldn't have gotten the good deal on the trade-in I would have sold it myself.

Of course she also has her 2002 T-Bird with only 43K on it. She will most likely keep this car forever!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

All of the above is good advice. Thanks, everyone!

When it comes right done to it, hubby will make the call. We have just been mulling things over.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Muddy Member

for the record, I dont usually buy ANY vehicle unless its over 100,000 miles and I've bought several with over 200,000 miles. My last sunfire had 298,000 miles on it when I sold it 3 or 4 years ago, and the guy is STILL driving it everyday. I see that stinkin car EVERYWHERE, lol. Its gotta be over 400,000 miles by now. My GMC has over 210,000 miles on it now. Heck now that I think about it, I've only owned 2 vehicles with less than 100,000 miles on them and the camaro had over 100,000 when I sold it, the Ford still had 78,000 when I sold it. My last F150 I bought with 276,000 miles on it. One of these days Im gonna add up the accumulated miles Ive put on vehicles in my lifetime. Just thinkin about it makes me cringe with these fuel prices.

Remember "The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."
Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Jr. Insider

Enterprize huh Mark, that's good to know. I had never thought of that before. Thank's for the idea, I just may have to check them out for a good used car.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 AM
MotorMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfly View Post
One of these days Im gonna add up the accumulated miles Ive put on vehicles in my lifetime.
Don't do it dude, it's a trick! That's just one more thing that'll make you feel old! That's not just 'miles on vehicles', it's also 'miles on you'. It'll be quicker, (but still a pretty lengthy list) if you just add up all the crashes you've had. LOL

"There has been no great wisdom without an element of madness"
Author unknown
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 AM
MotorMouth

So you two are starting to see what getting old is all about. I just turned 58 and don't feel that old, but I know time is slowly slipping away and at some point I will be as OLD and River Rat is today (BAHAHAHAhahahahaha).