Pulaski County Insider - Forum
Home Dictionary Thesaurus Weather Links
  Yellow Pages Today's Posts Who's Online  

Go Back   Pulaski County Insider - Forum > Classifieds > Pets & Animals

Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

Default Maeve

Maeve, my Belgian Malenois foster dog went to a great home last month. At 2 years old she was an energetic, loyal dog and after a year of training she was a disciplined dog. I use Schwans frozen food service and a regional manager had taken the route for one day. Maeve had greeted him at the door. After fifteen minutes of petting Maeve and talking to her I asked if he had actually come to bring me food! He apologized and stated he had had a dog like her but she had passed recently and his daughter was heartbroken. I asked if he had a fenced yard, huge he answered. I told him that Meave was a foster, Fiona my German Shepherd was used to train Maeve. Maeve had been out to two families who "wanted" a beautiful German Shepard, but was brought back because, "It's too much work walking a dog" and "She sheds". I really didn't want to put her through that again so I'd rather he talk it over with both his wife and daughter before he tried to write me a check...
The next night my doorbell rang, a young girl was there when I opened the door.
Maeve shot out the door and started running circles around her, they made it to my front yard where rubs and hugs were given....Maeve was bouncing..., I looked over and there's the driver and his wife. Hold on, took down the walk lead and collar and a yellow reflective vest handing them to the girl, take her for a run. A half hour later while having coffee with the young lady's parents who told me she ran cross country at her high school, the door opened and both dog and girl came in, go ahead and let her off lead. I showed her all the commands. All my dogs watch and listen for the verbal and hand command. Dad brought out a check book. Young lady are you going to take good care of my dog? Oh yes, is she going to keep her name? Yes. Put away the check book, young lady this dog is very very special, she's not for sale,she's been held back because I can't run. I've always felt she needed someone who can get the best out of her. Teach her something once in a while, I have not done roll over or play dead yet. You take very good care of her. So we loaded her sleep crate, toys and balls into their truck.
It's been a month and Maeve is doing great, she hasn't slowed down and runs cross country with her mistress after school every day..

Everyday for a year I had walked both dogs on rte 66 through Waynesville and the surrounding streets. It's been a month of people asking what "happened to the other dog"?. And I tell them what happened...

Caroline sends me pictures at least every other day..a video of Maeve dancing was too funny..

Yeah

Sometimes I just wonder,
is it all planned out or am I just fumbling my way through?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 PM
MotorMouth

Great story. That's exactly the way I would have handled it, in the same circumstances. Good for you, good for Maeve, and good for Caroline.
I love happy endings.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 AM
MotorMouth
Threadstarter  

And then there's Army dogs..
https://www.facebook.com/DoorKickers...428598/?type=3

Now that right there is funny

Last edited by MKPA; 03-31-2016 at 01:10 AM.