Pulaski County Insider - Forum

Pulaski County Insider - Forum (http://www.pulaskicountyinsider.com/forum/index.php)
-   Community Events (http://www.pulaskicountyinsider.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Hunter's Point Community Meeting (http://www.pulaskicountyinsider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12651)

MEL 02-28-2016 09:13 AM

Hunter's Point Community Meeting

There will be a Hunter's Point Community Meeting for anyone who lives in Hunter's Point or South side (over past the Mount Gibson Baptist Church) at the old Middle School around back close to where we vote on 3 March 16 at 6:30 pm. In fact, the meeting will be in the old gym on the back side of the building.

Meeting is concerning the upcoming vote to keep the Neighborhood Improvement District (NID) Maintenance fund to keep our paved roads maintained.

Anyone interested or needing information is welcome to attend. There will some flyers with FAQ's and other information available.

We look forward to seeing many of you at the event.

rudy 02-28-2016 09:34 AM

Mel the subdivision over by Mt.Gibson Church off of Springfield Road is named High Point Subdivision.
Be sure you invite the Western District County Commissioner as that is his area and not the Eastern District.

MEL 02-28-2016 11:33 AM

Thanks Rudy, forgot the correct name of the subdivision. We have worked with the Commission all the way on this process and it will be on the April ballet for residence of the area to vote for or against. I personally don't know why anyone would vote against it, because if we don't fund our own maintenance, the County sure doesn't have the money to do it. But, hey to each his or her own. I'm hopeful the thing passes, because I sure don't ever want to go back to gravel after over 20 years on a paved road.

rudy 02-28-2016 01:27 PM

I hope the people are smart enough to pass it, you know the county doesn't have the money to keep the roads in good shape and they would turn them back into gravel roads if the home owners don't pay the upkeep with the NID fund.
We had some commissioners when I was in office who made the comment about turning all the asphalt roads back into gravel, that's going backwards and it would hurt property value's big time.
Good luck with it.

MEL 02-28-2016 05:48 PM

Yeah, it just makes sense, period. Our NID fund will be double the Western Budget and will allow us to finally really start attempting to do a little overlay in places that don't need to be dug up and the base fixed. I Pray the people vote for it, because it will be a real value killer if they don't.

rudy 02-29-2016 09:38 AM

There is other subdivisions that really need to expand their NIDS if they want the roads to stay asphalted, the only other way is to have an increase in road tax county wide by a vote of the people and that won't fly with voters.

river_rat 02-29-2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy (Post 110294)
There is other subdivisions that really need to expand their NIDS if they want the roads to stay asphalted, the only other way is to have an increase in road tax county wide by a vote of the people and that won't fly with voters.

A third possibility, which we've talked about before, would be to pass a 1/2 cent Law Enforcement sales tax, then turn the existing SD portion of the budget, or at least a good part of it, back into the road & bridge budget. It wouldn't end ALL the issues, but it would certainly be a huge help. Then, if the various subdivisions also developed their own NID's, the county roads would begin to look very different, IMHO.

rudy 03-01-2016 10:35 AM

The NID Mel is talking about is about to expire so they must act on it pretty quick or they will be SOL!
I do agree that we need more money for the county budget especially the sheriff and road and bridge, they both are under funded for the services the citizens expect out of both departments.
As someone who is against more tax increases this is one tax that I could support as it is so badly needed to provide the level of service that is demanded, I speak from first hand experience.
The old saying is...You get what you pay for....

MEL 03-05-2016 05:20 PM

Yes, we have a web site as well, www.hwyhnid.org and people can go there to find information on the NID and the process. It will be voted on in April and will luck, it will be approved by the people that vote. Without this upgrade in our maintenance our roads will go back to dirt. I've lived on paved roads way to long to deal with that now.

rudy 04-04-2016 08:17 AM

Tomorrow is the big day for the vote on extending the H-highway/Hunters Point NID.
I urge all residents to vote for it, without the NID fund your roads in those area's will go to horrible shape in a matter of a few years, as a former county commissioner I know what the county road and bridge has to work with and they just don't have the money.
A couple of the commissioners in the past talked about just letting it go back to gravel and at least one of them is still on the commission.
If I lived in one of those subdivisions I would be voting yes and talking to all the neighbors to support it, but I don't live there.
Good luck!